Hack r/dayz - Server Configuration Guide for PC, XBOX, PS4 (XML
Get help with your DayZ server here. This guide will show you how to setup a custom player loadouts for DayZ standalone. Gamepedia's Help Wiki is the ultimate source for learning all about wikis - from new editor tutorials to resources for administrators! It's very simple and easy and you will never get caught.
all my gripes (feedback)
i'm gonna post this here and on the forums. i keep seeing people saying feedback on things is required, and there are some design decisions i would heavily object to, here are some suggestions, comments and gripes - so, in no particular order.
0) the game's loot system, obviously the most important point. there's far too little loot, but there's also FAR too much. what i mean by this is that there is often reasonably scarce resources around but often the fact that loot will now respawn infront of your face means that this won't matter. you can now just chuck loot out of a building's windows and have it respawn at your feet, basically manually causing a lootbomb. why is this stupid? because it's a terrible design decision and i can replace it so easily with a few easy suggestions.
0A) loot replacement suggestion
100% of the loot in residential houses is DESPAWNED permanently. it never appears out in the open. now to find loot in these houses you must open closed drawers and wardrobes and etc, like you're ripping the house apart in a movie. loot will ONLY spawn once the wardrobe is open, like Schrodinger's cat. this means that each house has the chance to spawn a higher density of items with less impact on the game, and once you've opened the drawers they don't spawn loot again until a restart. the more thorough you are in clearing a house, the more likely you are to get good loot, and less resources are used spawning loot.
1) animals are impossible to find. i should see animals litterally everywhere, forgetting how complete they are.
2) random loot doesn't help with finding car parts, it's like the system works against you
3) lockpicks useless vs player with any weapon
4) the sickness system will be too complicated to be fun, and you can avoid any sickness by hydrated+energised anyway
5) i need a pickaxe to make an oven and a spade to fish?
6) chopper crash mags IE SVD/VSS spawning as normal on any general military, why don't they just spawn there rarely too? i don't know.
7) chopper crashes being the only place to find some things, not necessarily with any sense to that. they're kinda balanced to whoever has a car, same with the nets.
8) nets impossible to find since new spawns will always take them now
9) i still can't spawn with my friend without 3 hours of suiciding. why can't we have spawning by clicking on a choice of locations?
10) while there are a lot of enterable houses now, they aren't generic enough IE the houses with bloody stuff above the sink. the houses should each randomly generate their contents at server restart or something.
11) you're going the wrong way with zombies. they should be an omnipresent WALKING nuisance EN MASSE rather than a threat you have to run from and then lock away in a room. they should be so prolific that the only choice is to run away, even to somebody with 75rnd drum mags. they should get a health bonus in hoardes vs guns and when they start to shout they should attract all the nearby zombies. players are so aggressive because they are not forced to band together to clear a town of zoms for instance. they're just not an issue. 0.55 zoms were too much too far in the wrong direction, and while i like the ones from that one video, they just seem way too much in the wrong way.
12) attachments, RIS. are you kidding? let me get into a bit of a rant here.
stuff like flashlights, scopes anything like that should attach to any weapon with RIS rails. why is the crossbow holosight for the crossbow only but the longhorn scope multirole?
13) bring back burlap wraps
14) apartments should be the most dense loot in the game, and they are good for tents at the moment i'll admit. with my shrodingers loot system it'd be far better to loot apartments than cherno WITHOUT CAUSING THE LAG/LOOT DISTRIBUTION PROBLEMS.
15) i should be able to bodge my weapons to fit attachments that were never even intended to fit, IE sawing the FAL stock and taping it to the nub of an AK stock.
16) more paint colours and working tie-dye. i'm sick of everyone being in the same clothing, why not let us dye leather clothing into our own mixes of camouflage?
17) this is always a HUGE gripe with dayz for me. a server on the mod years ago sorted this too, it's the cars.
17a) cars are going to be too complicated. i don't want to get into casualvshardcore arguments but too many parts means the cars just sit around doing nothing, or an admin picks them up as an admin car. on UK alliance server there's this one sedan about 5 separate people are logged next to to try and fix occasionally, nobody succeeded in 2 weeks. all it needs is 2 wheels.
17b) where did all the cars go? there should be random caches of cars that you can just pull parts from. they don't have to be driveable but it'd make sense if there were "parts cars" crashed dynamically all over the map. it should be easy to find cars but super hard to find one that's going to actually work right. you should have to cannibalise the local neighborhood's cars to get one working. the current spawn system just seems like old dayz.
18) planned feature??? need recipes that combine fresh ingredients, cans or meat to make higher calorie/"better" foods. IE nice curry.
18a) need curry leaves and chillies
19) public PVE servers. i like PVP but there comes a point where i actually just want to find the stuff i need to go fishing and set up a cosy camp with an oven next to a small lake. wouldn't it be great if you just got the whole server fishing in the same lake?
i'm saddened by the levels people go to to be hostile, down to setting out traps inside loot buildings and etc.
i blame frankie + "i want to be the sniper" for this sort of play, and i'm not going to deny punching a fully geared guy to death yesterday.
20) replace jumping (with a physical jump rather than an animation and temporarily disappearing) , current melee system (with something more like mount and blade, where you can block and running around is less powerful (not that i have too much of a problem with melee right now)) and try to shed anything that makes the game feel like ARMA.
21) linking the last point and the zombies point, Dayz often lacks "game" - in that you spend your time looking for items or players, which is half of the picture. most of the time should be spent avoiding large groups of zombies which are an omnipresent menace, rather than a thin blood-loss threat at best.
22) there's no tutorial for new players, (it's an alpha yeah, and they say don't buy the game still.) when the game is released there should be a limited "village sized" diorama of various activities in the game, from repairing a vehicle with looting, to a small archery test on a boar or something and some zombies, then some cooking, tanning, and making a leather bag. those core skills will probably make any player's time ingame better. there are people walking around who don't know how to do everything on that list. when the game releases there will be thousands of people in this boat who didn't buy the game at alpha.
23) official trading servers with communal tent cities for trading. kinda following on from my point about community and wouldn't it be great if we just went fishing rather than playing the hunger games.
24) underground hidden buildings should spawn loot (IE stary yar base)
25) spawns should be anywhere on the map regardless of local loot, since the coast has plenty anyway.
26) add tarpaulin so i can collect water, or collect water in a barrel.
27) add the ability to disassemble the camouflage nets around the map and relocate them to your base
28) should be able to use the truck in conjunction with sawmill to move larger logs and craft structures, furniture and boards from these logs
29) towable items, trailers and caravans, make boats towable when they come in, generators
30) skateboards and segways
31) biscuits, wheat harvesting, baking and bread
32) horses, riding, crafting saddles, jousting equipment, physics lassos (can lasso player, zombie, or animal for herding, could be used by a car passenger)
33) barricading + animal lifecycles? - make it possible to, in conjunction with the lasso and a wolf pet, herd cattle into a pre-prepared, barricaded enclosure where they will breed.
34) should cars really spawn destroyed though? or rather, should we be able to repair them? i wouldn't be able to find where spark plugs went on a car in real life unless i'd been using it for a while and had looked under the bonnet for them
35) what happened to that train prototype i saw years ago?
36) large stones should come from searching for stones
37) replace "search for" with something like picking part of the model you can see and having it disappear. it's time consuming at the moment, or rather it's needlessly boring when you could litterally be searching the bush/ground.
even just have the berries/stones spawn on the floor once you click "search for"
38) craftable persistent storage, IE leather tent or small leather box (stowed or buried)
39) ability to dig out and steal static items from the countryside using a vehicle, spade and rope. IE concrete pipes, fences, telegraph poles, trees, outhouses and other small things. larger vehicles can steal bigger statics for their base, IE car wrecks. the statics won't spawn loot anymore if they did before. could just be used to make roadblocks.
note on the feel of dayz. it feels like 28 days after the apocalypse. but it's stuck there in a time warp for the moment. servers are constantly at the stage where most people are essentially panicked and fighting for their immediate safety (whether by choice or not), but we never end up at the stage where we have generic groups of people who've come together without immediately shooting eachother for safety because there's no reason to go that far yet. to finish the circle, dayz needs to change it's feel from 28 days to 28 weeks as a server's players progress. that probably entails a massive focus on raw material development (big logs, water storage, more animals, working quarrying from the quarry) and construction (as i mentioned above)
i hope some of that was relevant
submitted by Avnas