Currently, I have a vanilla MC server running, with data stored on a RAM disk. Backups are automated via the RAMDisk program and some DOS batch scripts. It's whitelisted with just 5 players, including me. It's been up and running since 1.5.
In case it matters, the server specs:
- it's running Windows XP Professional, SP3
- 4 GB RAM total, 1 of which is dedicated to the RAMDisk
- AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200 (2.2 GHz, dual core)
We don't want to abandon our current world. We were fine with leaving behind the core area and moving beyond the current borders into the new 1.8 areas. But, now I learn that we'll have to move even farther out again for 1.9, so I'm looking for other options.
I've read that some admins will be installing the multi-world bukkit plugin, and traveling between old and new worlds. That sounds interesting and I'd like to try it if it's simple enough to do. I'm not stupid, but I freely admit to being ignorant about bukkit.
Are bukkit and the multi-world plugin simple enough for ignorant admins, or should I stay away? I will list some specific questions and concerns I have:
1) RE the multiworld plugin: is it possible for the multiple worlds to use different versions of the MC server (a 1.7 world, a 1.8 world, a 1.9 world, etc.)? The client will have 1.8 - if he jumps to a 1.7 server, is that a problem?
2) I've downloaded bukkit and read about how to install it. It seems that getting it up and running with a new world and default options is child's play. BUT, I can't find specific instructions for getting it up and running with an existing
world, so I wonder how that would go? Are there pitfalls to watch out for?
3) I've read about 'bukkit' and 'craftbukkit'. Are they related? Do I need both? Are they installed separately?
4) I read earlier today that a whitelist is handled by a plugin in bukkit - it isn't an option in the vanilla bukkit package. What other basic functionality will I need plugins for?
5) Is there a list somewhere of optimal bukkit settings for running a vanilla MC server (vanilla with the exception of multiworld)?
6) Is the multiworld plugin reasonable for an ignorant admin to attempt?
7) I'm sure there's more I should be asking, but in my ignorance I don't know what. Any general advice you can offer, or pitfalls to watch out for?
Thank you very much for any help you can provide. If I've missed some tutorials for doing all of this, sorry - please point me to them.